TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 6, 2012) - With Easter around the corner, BMO is reminding Canadians to diversify their investment portfolios and not put all of their "eggs in one basket." To balance risk, it is important to consider a variety of investments, both conservative and aggressive.
According to a BMO study, almost three-quarters (72 per cent) of adult Canadians hold investments and 83 per cent of them are confident they are managing their investments well. However, only 59 per cent know the types of investments they hold in their portfolio.
There are many ways to have successful investment portfolios by following some simple, practical advice. "In order to get the most from your money, your investments must be well-diversified and properly aligned with your financial goals," said Serge Pépin, Vice President, Investment Strategy, BMO Asset Management. "In today's unpredictable market, it is crucial to balance your portfolio by holding a variety of investments. Sitting down with a financial professional can help you identify where adjustments need to be made in your portfolio to make it less susceptible to market fluctuations and mitigate risk."
With markets continuing to show volatility, it is an ideal time for Canadians to review their investments to ensure they include the right asset mix.
Mr. Pépin added, "If you are unsure of how to invest with the wide range of investment choices available, BMO LifeStage Class Funds can help investors with their decisions. The funds offer a suite of mutual fund portfolios that annually shift asset mixes to enable investors to become more conservative as they approach their target end dates."
BMO offers the following investment portfolio management advice for investors:
- Re-examine your portfolio: Although investment portfolios should always be reviewed at least once a year, a 'spring cleaning' is a good prompt to examine your portfolio for diversification and market exposure. Keeping your portfolio balanced - with a mix of equities, bonds and cash - can help protect it from fluctuating markets.
- Invest Year-Round: Establishing a pattern of regular contributions is easier than coming up with a lump sum once a year. Consider setting up pre-authorized contributions for an easy and effective way to contribute, as well as to alleviate the stress of those last-minute contributions.
- Consolidate Your Assets: While your investments should be diversified, keeping your assets in one basket with a single institution makes it easier to keep track of your portfolio.
- Read the headlines: Stay aware of the current events that may have the potential to move financial markets. Ask your financial advisor how the make-up of your portfolio might be affected by increased volatility.
- Talk To A Financial Advisor: Sitting down with a financial advisor can help you save money and time by providing you with options that you may not know are available. An advisor can also ensure your portfolio is meeting your financial goals and reflecting a balanced mix of investments.
To learn more about investing and BMO LifeStage Class Funds, please visit www.bmo.com/lifestage.
Get the latest BMO press releases via Twitter by following @BMOmedia.
About BMO Financial Group
Established in 1817 as Bank of Montreal, BMO Financial Group is a highly-diversified North American financial services organization. With total assets of $538 billion as at January 31, 2012, and more than 47,000 employees, BMO Financial Group provides a broad range of retail banking, wealth management and investment banking products and solutions.